GI Joe Retaliation was pretty good. It was fun and at times silly. It was also nice to see it on an IMAX screen.
In this sequel to the Rise of Cobra, the villain Zartan is still impersonating the president and he has the GI Joe team wiped out. Only 3 Joes survive, the survivors are lead by Roadblock (Dwayne Johnson), and they try to figure out what is going on. (Channing Tatum’s Duke is killed off in the first half hour or so. He had nice chemistry with Johnson.)
Cobra has a new super weapon and plans for world domination. (Don’t they always have new super weapons?) This really feels like an episode of the classic cartoon from the 1980s.
- Firefly made a good villain
- In hindsight maybe the Rise of Cobra is a bit disappointing
- I think the actor playing Flint needed some better material
- The movie didn’t mention Scarlet or Ripcord or even the Baroness from the first movie
- I liked how Bruce Willis’ character, the original GI Joe, didn’t completely take over the movie
- The RZA should probably not be brought back if there is a third film in the series
- Jonthan Pryce is having fun as the impostor president.
- Storm Shadow is still kind of a silly name
The movie is at 33% at Rotten Tomatoes. I am a bit surprised. Newsarama liked it though. Richard Roeper’s review is fun to read.